Sunday, November 30, 2008

ONE WAY OR THE OTHER

Yesterday was an interesting day. As I was relaxing, enjoying my Thanksgiving weekend with family - I received a voice mail. It was from a man in Chattanooga who had taken the ifyouhatechurch.com survey and wanted to let me know that "we are like every other traditional church out there." His message was 5 minutes long... at least. And full of explanation as to why we were no different and the problems with us because of it.

A few short hours later, I received an email. This time from a pastor in the area who wanted to let me know that "after looking at our marketing techniques, websites, and blog it was clear that we are following the emerging church model" (a model that is counter to the traditional church). His email took me more than 5 minutes to read and included explanation of our apparent heresies and doctrinal error.

That was my Saturday. In one day, I was being labeled as too traditional and too emerging. That's like being too fat and too skinny. Or too funny and too serious. Or too democrat and too republican. In truth, we probably fall somewhere in the middle - as most churches do.

I do find it interesting though that others seem to know me better than I know myself... despite having never met me, nor even talking with me. And they seem to think they have a clear understanding of The Net, even though we haven't held a service yet. My suggestion to everyone reading this: Come out on January 18th and draw your own conclusions. My guess is - it'll fall somewhere in the middle.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to church planting in Chattanooga! The buckle of the bible belt where everyone knows what the pastor should be doing different.

Anonymous said...

I think Jesus had this same problem. You're in good company.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Jesus had the same problem...and it didn't stop Him either. Such is life! As for me, I'm looking forward to January 18th!

Travis said...

If we didn't know your amazing heart for people, we wouldn't be in Chattanooga as a part of this. Based on the fact that so many unbelievers are responding and showing interest in Christ, I think you must be doing something right.

lisi said...

ryan... as dori said in 'finding nemo'.. "just keep swimming, just keep swimming!". here is the youtube.. just a reminder that no matter what any person says, you are ultimately responsible for just plain ol' you! skinny, fat, funny, serious, democrat, republican.. etc...
:-) love you guys! lis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WVoC_CJbow

Anonymous said...

I must say i will have to agree with the former Pastor who viewed Your website and saw your marketing techniques and your approach to appealing to a sinful world who are dying from sin and on their way to HELL.Your Seeker sensative approach will not help them-Theres only one Message that will Bring Restoration and peace to the world and its found in 1 Corinthians 1:18-24.By the Preaching of the Cross which will point people to Jesus and not a program.I pray that you will earnestly seek the lord and return to his word and not a program.Sincerely-Bro Thomas Climer

Anonymous said...

Ryan, His Word always returns a harvest. Sometimes it does seem to convict those that raise the greatest hew and cry, because someone else might reach a soul that is deafened to the message they are preaching.

I'm reminded of a wise Jewish elder, that said about 2000 years ago, "If this is not of God, it will soon fade, if it is of God, nothing man can do shall stop it".

PS Donald's howdy to Tyler

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
I wish you the Lord's blessings.

Do yourself, The Lord, and others a favor; don't make it about numbers. Jesus told us to make "disciples". Not converts, not attenders. Be obedient to Him and His Word. Follow HIm! No person, no program, no way! Don't allow the ways of man to guide you.

Better to have a congregation of 50 disciples who love the Lord, then a congregation of 500 pew warmers who love you and "your church".

Anonymous said...

"That's like being too fat and too skinny. Or too funny and too serious. Or too democrat and too republican."

how about "a little bit country, and a little bit rock and roll"...no? oh well...

seriously though, hope you guys are doing well. good luck with the opening in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your honest talk about church. I am sure some of these naysayers would change their minds if they waited to hear your messages and not pass judgment on people before they know anything about them. Just another reason why people like me are tired of "church-people". We just want to hear the Bible taught without any other distractions.