Sunday, September 7, 2008

BOOK PREVIEW

Technically, since I haven't fully read this book I can't call this a review... so this is a book preview.

Yesterday I started my latest read: The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay. After the first chapter, I love it. I'm trying not to get too excited though... I've had books in the past grab me, only to later disappoint. But, this seems to hold some promise.

The book is written by church planters who are taking their version of church in a completely different direction than the status quo (now you see why I like it). They are less about the weekend and more about the home and community - the whole missional thing, which is very popular these days. I'm not ready to ditch the weekend thing... already crossed that bridge in my mind a year ago. But, I do believe there will be some great insight in this read.

Here's an excerpt:

"When I walk into Starbucks, I don't think about coffee. That's predetermined... tall black Americano. I ponder the lives of everyone I see. I wonder about their spiritual journeys, their highs and lows... and where they look for direction in their search. My initial assumption is that in any room full of people, very few know Christ. I ask myself how I could get into their lives or how a conversation might begin. I don't see them as projects - that wouldn't go very far. I see them as souls the Lord loves who simply haven't seen or heard an accurate message about the Kingdom. I always feel confident that I may one day be talking with them about life and God. Oddly enough, this seems to happen all the time.

I've accepted that God has gifted me this way, and I don't expect that everyone will understand or feel the depth of my passion for the spiritually disoriented, nor that my habits of life and engagment will fit everyone. However, I do believe that since you're reading this, you may share something I rarely say out loud: I can't picture any of these people, or my friends, or your friends, going to church... any church... ever!"

I've been wrestling with a slogan for The Net. I think I like: "The Net - Church for those who don't go!"

No comments: